How it must break the heart of a super-natural, all-powerful, and magnificent Creator-God when those who claim to know and follow Him are far too easily pleased and satisfied with “business as usual”, “mediocre-just-like-everyone-else”, “lack-of-excellence-is-good-enough-for-our-standards”, and “we-don’t-believe-that-God-is-really-going-to-do-much-in-and-through-us-this-year” attitudes! (Wow, that’s a mouthful!)
I want to challenge you with a question: What are you believing and asking God for this year? And if you don’t have an answer to that question, why not?
Lately, God has been rocking my world with an invitation to ask Him for BIG things. God-sized things. Impossible things. Excellent things. Requests that will demonstrate His awesome power and greatness.
Just look at a few examples from the Word of God:
- John 15:7 – But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!
- James 4:2 – …you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it.
- John 14:14 – Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!
- Luke 1:37 – For nothing is impossible with God.
- Ephesians 1:19-20 – I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms.
So here’s what I’m going to do…
At the risk of sounding like a crazy person, I’m going to share just a few of the audacious, bold, and impossible things I am asking God to accomplish this year through The RESCUE Church. You can laugh at me. You can call me crazy. You can use this to gossip about me or our church. You can claim we’re just trying to be a “big church” (still not quite sure why seeing more people come to Christ is a bad thing in some people’s minds!). Or you can join me in asking God for these things as well. We can believe together that the God we serve is still in the business of doing the impossible and putting His absolute power on display for our hurting world to see.
So having said that, here we go…
- God, will you please allow us to launch at least one more campus in 2013 (3 would be even better)!
- God, will you please grow our church to 500 people in 2013!
- God, will you please provide a permanent facility for our Flandreau campus in 2013!
- God, will you please use us to bring at least 100 people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ in 2013!
- God, will you please allow us to see at least 100 people go through the waters of baptism in 2013!
- God, will you please bless the youth ministry we will launch this year and help us have a weekly average attendance of 100 students!
- God, will you please provide at least $350,000 in offerings in 2013!
“That’s impossible.” “There’s no reason to believe that could ever happen.” “Things like that don’t happen in “small churches” in “small towns.” “You’ll never accomplish that.”
And that’s exactly the point. That’s why I’m calling on the God of Heaven who is alive and well and at the center of our church, the God ‘who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine’ (Ephesians 3:20) to do in us and through us that which we are unable to do on our own.
So rather than seeing all the impossibilities in your life and settling for normal mediocrity, why don’t you believe God for something awesome in your life, your marriage, your career, your dreams, and your world this year.