Sadly, many churches around the world today have lost sight of the reason for their existence and have no vision of being used by God to make a powerful and positive impact in this world for His kingdom.
I would contend that the day a church forgets its WHY is the day it begins to DIE!
The good news is that we don’t have to struggle to answer the question, “Why do we exist?” Jesus was very clear in giving His church our marching orders.
Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
This past Sunday, The RESCUE Church unveiled a new vision statement:
Our vision is to impact our communities by helping people KNOW Jesus, GROW in faith, and GO serve others.
Let me draw your attention to a few words that are an important part of that vision statement:
- IMPACT = We believe that wherever a RESCUE Church campus shows up, things should change for the better! You can’t be impacted by something and remain the same. And if we are truly the kind of church Jesus has called us to be, our communities should be impacted in visible ways.
- COMMUNITIES = This word points to our multi-site vision of being one church that meets in multiple places. At the time of this writing, we currently have campuses of The RESCUE Church meeting in Flandreau, SD, Colman, SD, Garretson, SD, Deeside, Jamaica, Peoria, IL, as well as an internet campus (iCampus) that sees people logging on from all over the world each weekend! In addition to this, there are other locations being prayed about and discussed at this time!
- KNOW = It’s all about knowing Jesus Christ as our personal Savior from sin. This is the primary purpose for our existence…to help people KNOW Jesus!
- GROW = God’s will is for people to not stay the same after he saves them. We want to help people take steps of growth in their faith as they follow Jesus.
- GO = We believe we are called to be a sending station that deploys God’s people to serve others in our communities and beyond.
If you want to hear more about some exciting changes coming in the life of The RESCUE Church, I invite you to join us on Sundays as we are currently going through a series in the book of Acts. We are calling this series Back to the Future as we are going “back” to study the early New Testament church in order to embrace the “future” of our church!
The first message of the series can be viewed below: